Friday, January 12, 2007

MySpace - I Really Just Don't Get It.

OK, have a good laugh watching this video and then read why I think MySpace deserves a Been There/Done That award... (*Warning > mild profanity = possibly NSFW*)

The Kings of Myspace - Myspace Rap Vid


Ha-ha. Full marks to the team behind Kings Of MySpace on concept and execution. As the saying goes, "it has a good beat and you can dance to it" however in my opinion the true entertainment value is that it's funny on multiple levels. While KOM contains some of the corniest rap lyrics on record (eg. "don't even ask for the digits, just get the 3 dubs") there is also humour of the It's Funny Because It's True variety.

Now that I have joined the blogosphere myself I don't want to sound like a hypocrite or hater...but does anyone else besides me ever visit a MySpace page and get a serious flashback to the late-90's? Hmm, it was a little something called Geocities, people! Why is one of the most popular Web sites in the world essentially a modern-day equivalent of the Geocities homepage? Is it because every generation needs something like this to call its own? I might believe that since MySpace is clearly dominated by teens and college students who were only 7 years old back in 1997 when the first Personal Publishing craze took place. I don't really consider it too progressive when 10 years passes and a collection of pages populated with links to My Friends, etc. is hailed by the masses as a major technological and social advancement over a collection of pages with animated gifs of stars and rainbow separator bars.

Oh, the things you can do on the Web. Google came out strong and still rocks. YouTube is an absolutely amazing site. My wife has been buying and selling about one-third of our children's wardrobe on eBay the past few months. There are friends of mine who met and married their life partner via an online personals site. The first really cool job I ever had was the result of my responding to an ad on craigslist and I even have my own LinkedIn profile - which mostly just sits there collecting dust - but MySpace? Two words: bo-ring. Let me know when the relevance of MySpace, Friendster (its predecessor) or even Facebook (the latecomer) matches its popularity, OK?

1 comment: